03 January 2009

Tasty Babycakes

The first cookies were created by accident. Cooks used a small amount of cake batter to test their oven temperature before baking a large cake. These little test cakes were called 'koekje', meaning "little cake" in Dutch.

Cookies are little cakes. Baby cakes. Babycakes.

Neil Gaiman's chilling story of that very title was what got me hooked to his writing (MP3 | text | comic). I love his writing.

I also love baking.

The fusion of these two loves come into play here on this blog as I attempt to make cookies inspired by his stories, characters, settings, and words.

I'll throw in other cookie recipes, too, and tales of the cooking failures that spring up in these baking adventures (because let's face it -- who really bakes without blundering a few times?) just to keep it interesting.

But first and foremost, this is a place for babycakes.

No comments: